Women with heavy, pendulous breasts may experience significant physical and psychological discomfort. Breast reduction is a cosmetic procedure that not only enhances your physical appearance, but can significantly improve your quality of life.
Why Undergo Breast Reduction?
- Many uncomfortable ailments caused by overly large breasts such as chronic pain, skin irritation and breathing problems may be relieved through breast reduction surgery.
- By reducing breast volume, breast reduction can correct your posture while removing strain from your neck, shoulders and back. Breast reduction surgery may also alleviate certain body image issues or psychological distress relating to breast size.
- Many women benefit from the ability to move more freely following breast reduction. This makes it easier to exercise or participate in sports.
Your Breast Reduction With Dr. Bharti
- Breast reduction is typically an outpatient procedure that can be completed in two to four hours. Incision lines will be marked and general or local anesthetic combined with sedation will be administered prior to your procedure.
- Several incision patterns exist for breast reduction. They can be made in a circular pattern around the areola, along the breast crease, or in a vertical line that extends down toward the breast crease. Breast tissue will be reduced, tightened and repositioned. For extremely pendulous breasts, the nipple may be transplanted to a higher position. Dr. Bharti may use liposuction in conjunction with tissue removal during your breast reduction.
- Incisions will be secured together using sutures, skin adhesives and surgical tape. A drainage tube may be temporarily placed in your incisions to collect fluid.
What to Expect After Surgery
- Discomfort, swelling and bruising will be present at the treatment site. Dr. Bharti will provide you with specific aftercare instructions, along with pain medication and a compression garment to manage your discomfort. You will need to return for a follow-up visit with Dr. Bharti one week after surgery. Your recovery will be monitored and external sutures will be removed.
- Most patients feel up to resuming work, school or other social activities within a week of surgery. You should avoid strenuous physical activity for three to six weeks until your recovery has progressed.
- There will be permanent scarring on the breasts following breast reduction. Immediately following surgery, incision lines will be slightly raised and appear pink or dark brown. Your scars will gradually fade and flatten over the course of 12 months.
Breast Reduction Alternatives
- A breast lift is sometimes an effective alternative for women who are more concerned about breast sagging, than overall breast volume. This, in combination with a breast reduction, may offer the best cosmetic results.
- It is possible to reduce breast volume through traditional diet and exercise methods. Unfortunately, breast shape and position will likely suffer as a result. If your nipple is positioned parallel to or below the breast crease, it will not lift upwards following weight loss.