The eyes are some of the most expressive features of the face. But as we age, sagging or excess skin can hinder the way we express emotions. Eyelid surgery, otherwise known as blepharoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure designed to turn back time by correcting excess baggy skin around the eyes.
Why Undergo Eyelid Surgery?
- Eyelid surgery is a facial rejuvenation technique that can remove excess skin and fat from the upper and lower eyelids.
- Persistent puffy bags as well as fine lines and wrinkles can also be corrected through eyelid surgery.
- For some people, excess skin around the eyes can obscure vision. In these cases, eyelid surgery Johnson City can be elected to restore a clear field of vision.
- Eyelid surgery is also frequently performed alongside other facial rejuvenation procedures such as a brow lift or a face lift to freshen up the entire face.
Your Eyelid Surgery With Dr. Bharti
- Eyelid surgery in Johnson City can be performed on both the upper and lower eyelids, if desired. Surgery is generally completed in one to three hours.
- Your procedure may be performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation, based on Dr. Bharti's recommendation.
- Once you've been sedated, Dr. Bharti will begin by making strategically placed incisions. Upper eyelid incisions are made within the upper crease of your lid. While lower eyelid incisions are hidden within the lower lash line.
- Through these incisions, Dr. Bharti will trim away excess skin and fat. Muscles may also be readjusted or repositioned for a more relaxed effect. External incisions will then be closed with fine sutures.
What to Expect After Surgery
- It is common for patients to experience some soreness or tightness around the eyes during recovery. Discomfort can be easily managed with a combination of prescription pain medication and cold compresses.
- Noticeable swelling and bruising will be present around the treatment area for the first one to two weeks of recovery.
- Recovery times vary, but most patients feel comfortable returning to work within 10 days. Strenuous activities should be postponed for several weeks until your recovery has progressed.
- The results of eyelid surgery will be more or less permanent. However, eyelid surgery cannot halt the natural aging process. Wrinkles around your eyes may begin to gradually reappear over the course of several years.
Eyelid Surgery Alternatives
- In some cases, a brow lift may serve as a viable alternative to eyelid surgery. A brow lift can effectively diminish the appearance of forehead creases, as well as wrinkles that form between the eyes.
- A face lift may also serve as an effective alternative treatment. In many cases, a face lift is performed in conjunction with eyelid surgery for full face rejuvenation.