Overdeveloped or enlarged male breasts, known as gynecomastia, is an embarrassing condition that affects men of all ages. Male breast reduction can be used to remove excess fat and restore contour to the male chest.
Why Undergo Male Breast Reduction in Tennessee?
- Decreased testosterone levels, increased body fat and certain medications may cause gynecomastia. More than 65 percent of all male breast disorders are associated with gynecomastia.
- Though rarely a sign of a life-threatening condition, enlarged male breasts can adversely impact self esteem and body image.
- Male breast reduction may be used to correct one or both of the breasts. Asymmetrical development in adult men may signify an underlying medical condition.
- The best candidates for male breast reduction are men with stabilized breast development who are at or near an ideal body weight.
Your Male Breast Reduction With Dr. Bharti
- Male breast reduction is usually performed on an outpatient basis. In some cases, an overnight stay may be recommended. General or local anesthesia combined with sedation will be administered.
- Liposuction may be performed alone if your enlarged breasts are the result of excess fatty tissue. During liposuction, Dr. Bharti will insert a cannula (hollow suctioning tube) into small incisions to remove fat.
- Excision may be used alone if excess glandular tissue is responsible for your enlarged breasts. Using a scalpel, Dr. Bharti will cut away excess tissue, fat and skin. The incision may be made in the armpit or along the edge of the areola.
- Incisions will be secured with sutures. Surgical drains may be placed at incision sites to collect excess fluid buildup.
What to Expect After Surgery
- Dr. Bharti will provide you with personalized aftercare instructions to reduce your risk of developing a complication.
- You will be provided with a compression garment and oral pain medication to help manage swelling and discomfort.
- You should be able to resume work within a week of surgery. Swelling and bruising will gradually subside over the course of two to three weeks.
- There may be some visible scarring which will gradually fade and flatten in about 12 months. Most men do not feel self conscious about the appearance of scarring on their chest following surgery.
Male Breast Reduction Alternatives
- Young men and teenagers should choose to wait until their bodies have fully developed before considering male breast reduction. Hormonal imbalances may cause gynecomastia, but it generally resolves on its own.
- If your enlarged breasts are largely due to excess fatty tissue, implementing a healthy diet and exercise plan may minimize the appearance of your chest.