Fat grafting has been used for more than 100 years to soften, correct or augment physical imperfections. Through this technique, Dr. Bharti can remove fat from a donor sight (e.g., buttocks, abdomen or thighs) on your body and re-implant it to a volume-deficient region in the face.
Why Undergo Fat Grafting?
- Most patients elect fat grafting to counteract signs of aging by filling in sunken cheeks or lines, correcting skin depressions and minimizing forehead wrinkles.
- Fat grafting can also be used as a natural form of augmentation. Thin lips or an underdeveloped backside can be enhanced using your own fat.
- In general, fat grafting is considered safer than many other procedures because it is performed using your own body cells – so there is no chance of rejection. There is also a lower risk of complication. The best candidates for fat grafting will possess good overall health and have realistic expectations.
Your Fat Grafting Procedure With Dr. Bharti
- Prior to your procedure, both the donor and recipient sites will be numbed with a local anesthesia. For larger fat grafting procedures, sedation may be used as well. Fat cells will be harvested from the donor site using a syringe with a large-bore needle or through a liposuction cannula (a thin suctioning tube).
- The harvested fat cells will be cleansed and purified before they are injected into the recipient site. Slight overfilling may be necessary to compensate for natural fat re-absorption.
- Adhesive bandages will be placed over the donor and recipient treatment sites following your procedure.
What to Expect After Your Procedure
- Your recovery will be dictated by the size and location of the treatment area(s). Most patients experience some bruising, redness and swelling at both the donor and recipient sites. Scabs may also form over the treatment areas. Most unpleasant side effects including bruising and swelling will gradually subside over the course of several days.
- Dr. Bharti can prescribe medications or recommend over-the-counter pain medications to help you manage discomfort.
- You should notice a marked change in your appearance immediately following treatment, however, the final results may not be apparent for several months. Final results may be evident for many years.
Fat Grafting Alternatives
- Dermal fillers often serve as a simple alternative to fat grafting. They often achieve more predictable results and may last up to three years.
- Implants may be used in place of fat grafting to surgically augment the face, lips or buttocks. The results are permanent, but the procedure is more invasive.